Saturday, October 20, 2012

The hobbit




To be honest I am not a fantasy kind of girl. I love fantasy horror but when its comes to classic fantasy I loose interest. I have watched the entire seris of the Lord of the Rings movies. I found them to be very interesting but lacking female characters and romance. I feel the same way about The Hobbit. I enjoyed parts of it, with golem and the giant spiders. The writing was clever and beautiful. But I had no strong female character to look up to or even a damsel in distress. And obviously there was no romance or sexual content of any kind. To be honest being a women I couldn’t relate. It seemed formulaic, they get attacked, they escape, they get attacked they escape, ect. I know it is a great book and I can respect it. But I feel it is offensive that women are not even worth mentioning. Are they too busy raising children and washing clothes to go on quests? I know the author was thinking of a bigger picture but I feel it is just not made for women. Also the violence is not suspenseful or creepy it’s just fighting, one group fighting and dominating another. Maybe if I was a man I could appreciate it more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment